Surprice from IPS

bosss

Already seen that, going to cancel some applications in my licenses I don't need anymore too.

But what do you need to run this arcade? Basically just Core and Pages, which will be USD 45,- a year to create an amazing website.

Did you know that you can even emulate a forum with pages? Or bundle it with a free forum and viola :classic_biggrin: 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, V0RT3X said:

Already seen that, going to cancel some applications in my licenses I don't need anymore too.

But what do you need to run this arcade? Basically just Core and Pages, which will be USD 45,- a year to create an amazing website.

Did you know that you can even emulate a forum with pages? Or bundle it with a free forum and viola :classic_biggrin: 

No - Pages is not need for Arcade. Just Core and forums.

Maybe someone @tubesock @Legionaire will make arcade for xenforo :biga:

7 minutes ago, bosss said:

No - Pages is not need for Arcade. Just Core and forums.

I meant you can't purchase the single Core (which would be enough in theory), you have to buy one application too.

And Pages is much cheaper than Forums (USD 80,-), that's why I suggested Pages :classic_wink:

19 minutes ago, V0RT3X said:

I meant you can't purchase the single Core (which would be enough in theory), you have to buy one application too.

And Pages is much cheaper than Forums (USD 80,-), that's why I suggested Pages :classic_wink:

Never used Pages and i think that will be Goodbye to IPS :banana:

Edited by bosss

I am hanging on right now by the skin of my ass. I go in the hole every month, between IPS, the Modder's, and the VPS server. With the new increase, I just can't afford this any longer. My Renewal is due 02/04/2022 total $205.00 this is USD funds so add another 35 percentage on for exchange.

I think the way things are going, this will be it for me..

I also have a SMF Arcade forum, but this arcade is not built for competitions, no settings to set up game plays.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ronald said:

I am hanging on right now by the skin of my ass. I go in the hole every month, between IPS, the Modder's, and the VPS server. With the new increase, I just can't afford this any longer. My Renewal is due 02/04/2022 total $205.00 this is USD funds so add another 35 percentage on for exchange.

I think the way things are going, this will be it for me..

I also have a SMF Arcade forum, but this arcade is not built for competitions, no settings to set up game plays.

MyBB have arcade - never tested - https://community.mybb.com/thread-167727.html?highlight=arcade

And it is free like Mybb

3 hours ago, bosss said:

MyBB have arcade - never tested - https://community.mybb.com/thread-167727.html?highlight=arcade

And it is free like Mybb

myBB is free software, not to many used for arcades like we use. Mostly scripts installed: Arcade Webmasters Forum | TalkArcades - Arcade Showroom (thearcadenetwork.com)

phpBB is a much better setup and much easier to install the mod.'s

• Thanks 1

I see they jumped to $40 every 6 months now, instead of the $25 per 6 months. I never had to use support, very seldom went to the support forums, as you can tell since I didn't know about the price increase.

They are going to price themselves out of business. You can get a blog that does most everything that IPS does now with Pages etc. They've gone insane, apparently. I'm going to have to think about it. I already stopped using many mods a long time back. I refuse to pay a set price, and then a renewal every 6 months for a mod, or Theme. It's been a 13-year run as of last month, I may wind up pulling my plug, and concentrating on my Blog. I'll have to wait and see what my members feel like.

• Like 1

Sorry everyone, I am just returning from a very demanding road trip that has zapped most of my energy.  Even though I have been keeping on eye on this topic, I have really not had any time to sit and participate.  Now that I am at home, it is time to jump in and see what we can do as co-owners, admin and friends to see what is next.  Although it has been a while, we could all see the writing on the wall in which direction IPS was heading, I did not know Brandon (bfarber) from IPS had moved on and not heard why he had made that decision (perhaps he did not like the direction they were headed either), so who will be the next to go Matt ?  I would feel comfortable in saying that moving from IPS to another paid community software would not be the smart move as that could tend to move in the same direction and quite frankly I am getting a little tired of paying for something we purchased a long time ago when you have very good free software out there that does pretty much the same thing IPS does for FREE.  With that said I have done some searching around and have come up with what would be the best possible switches to make.

• phpBB - proabably the #1 free community software out there
  • SMF
  • MyBB
  • And a new community software that is really in the baby stages called Flarum.  Currently this one is free but that could change quite easily as it is still in it's very early stages

All of these with the exception of Flarum already have some type of arcade system built, the problem I see is, would tubesock want to recode the arcade to work with one of these other platforms.  And what would be the cost of creating another arcade, would users want to pay for yet another arcade ?

If you had to choose another platform what would it be ?

Just to expand a little, the paid software is a bit costly as well

• VBulletin - 249.00 up front, but appears that there is no yearly charges however, if they have a big upgrade such as vbulletin 5 to vbulletin 6 then there is usually an upgrade cost - does not appear to have an active arcade VBulletin 5) however Stannger5 has an arcade built on VBulletin 4 that is very much like this one
  • Xenforo - 160.00 and $55 a year to maintain your license, currently has an arcade that is not very good

6 hours ago, Legionaire said:
  • phpBB - proabably the #1 free community software out there
  • SMF
  • MyBB
  • And a new community software that is really in the baby stages called Flarum.  Currently this one is free but that could change quite easily as it is still in it's very early stages

I just set up a test site using phpBB, Thunder installed his Arcade Pro for us to check out. It is a great arcade, but lacks a lot of the feature we have in ipsProArcade, and is quite costly.

SMF Arcade, this one is not for competitions no challenges installed, but it is free software. I have a site setup for Beta testing Arcadeholics - https://arcadeholics.net/index.php

I have asked Chen a few times if he could add more features, but no luck with that.

myBB quite the same, plain arcade but again freeware.

Myself I think phpBB is the way to go. It can be customized quite simply, ext.'s are added very easy  as are the skins and languages. All the ext's and skins and languages are freeware, they do have some paid ext.'s and skins. Just need a cheaper arcade with all the bells and whistles. killbill has an arcade for phpBB, but I don't know anything about it.

Legionaire, your on the road often, you drive a truck for a living.

2 hours ago, Tschieny said:

i don't like phpbb, in contrast to invision power board, but i think that thorsten's arcade pro is very good and actually has the same functions as the arcade here at legionaire.

Have you tried phpBB lately.

Thorsten's arcade, yes is very good, doesn't have the same features as we have with Legionaire's arcade.

On 9/21/2021 at 3:44 PM, Legionaire said:

Just to expand a little, the paid software is a bit costly as well

• VBulletin - 249.00 up front, but appears that there is no yearly charges however, if they have a big upgrade such as vbulletin 5 to vbulletin 6 then there is usually an upgrade cost - does not appear to have an active arcade VBulletin 5) however Stannger5 has an arcade built on VBulletin 4 that is very much like this one
  • Xenforo - 160.00 and $55 a year to maintain your license, currently has an arcade that is not very good

Yes but my VB license does not support PHP as high as we use now.  So if you don't have a private server running older php no love there

On 9/22/2021 at 11:41 PM, Legionaire said:

For now, we are planning on staying with IPS at least until we figure out if it is feasible to move to another platform which would require a total rewrite of the arcade

Good to hear you stay. Would feel kinda stupid believing in a project, purchasing a lifetime license (not even 2 years ago) and also providing a full translation for free.

In my opinion that would be much worse than IPS raising their prices after 10+ years.

But if the Invision version is indeed discontinued completely, would at least the unencrypted code be released on Github or something like that?