The "flash demise"

Legionaire

For those that are holding onto the hope that if they keep their current browsers and do not allow it to update, and keep their current adobe flash player and not let it update, you may be in for a real surprise.  The following article is directly from the adobe website and a very "need-to-know" read

https://community.adobe.com/t5/flash-player/adobe-flash-availability-after-2020/td-p/10929047?page=1

Adobe Flash end of support on December 31, 2020

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/adobe-flash-end-of-support

Top Best Adobe Flash Player Alternatives in 2020

https://techviral.net/adobe-flash-player-alternatives/

Why Are Browsers Ending Flash Support and How to Access Flash Content Afterwards

https://www.maketecheasier.com/browsers-ending-flash-support/

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Oak said:

Top Best Adobe Flash Player Alternatives in 2020

https://techviral.net/adobe-flash-player-alternatives/

These two browsers are for cell phones

13 hours ago, Oak said:

Why Are Browsers Ending Flash Support and How to Access Flash Content Afterwards

https://www.maketecheasier.com/browsers-ending-flash-support/

Need to read this entire article as it will not be easy to keep utilizing flash no matter the browser you choose.  Pale Moon gives some hope, but if the adobe flash player really does have a "kill switch" no telling how long this will last either

13 hours ago, Oak said:

This one pretty much says that as of Dec 31 2020, all microsoft support for flash will end, including IE 11 and microsoft Edge

And last but not certainly least, the hartman project is an agreement that hartman has with Adobe to support businesses beyond 2020 to accomodate moving their web pages to either HTML5 or javascript.  This service requires a license.  There is one option to provide the service for free, but the bottom line is that it must be housed on a server, this is NOT by browser this is more for a corporate infrastructure

3 minutes ago, Ronald said:

So otherward we are s__t out of luck.

Better to read the articles and make your own determination of what you believe them to say.  I do not want to provide hope in something that may have no hope.  Also there are the HTML5 games that will function with no flash. so when you say s**t out of luck, not necessarily just that at some point, whether it is on Dec 31st or sometime later, flash will go away

Good morning,
Personally I assume that it will no longer work, as if the opposite happens and an alternative is found, it will simply be good news.

Thank you for reading me

Bonjour,

Personnellement je pars sur le principe qu’il ne fonctionnera plus, Comme cela si l’inverse se produit et qu’une alternative est trouvé, cela sera tout simplement une bonne nouvelle.

Merci de me lire

• 2 months later...

I have been doing some testing on what are being called "flash alternatives" such as ruffle, pale moon (the browser) and Super Nova.  Here is what I have found about each one (at least currently)

RUFFLE - This one shows a lot of promise but still heavily under development

• Plays games well
  • Does not capture the score needed for the arcade to submit
  • Provides nightly updates (if there are any changes)

SUPER NOVA - Cannot get this one to run efficiently enough to call it a viable source (at this point)

PALE MOON - This, in my opinion of course, is the most reliable of all the current alternatives, flash works well both in playing games and capturing the scores needed to submit to the arcade

Of course all of this testing has been completed prior to the "NOW" cutoff date of 01/12/2021, so only time will tell which one takes the lead and runs efficiently for sites to use in our situation and that is with the arcade

IF anyone has anything to add, please feel free to put in your comments so that we can all learn and grow together

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I played a couple of flash games on my forum using MS Edge, all worked well and kept the score.

I had a member tell me he  played some flash games also on my forum using Chrome browser

So, is flash dead or what?

I have been also using Palemoon as well as some of my members. What I find with Palemoon it increases the CPU

As for Super Nova, well I found this to be a bad source, it keeps telling me the game is not compatible with Super Nova, so it can't play the game..

Time will tell, we'll come up with something that works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok its 12th Jan in UK and the kill switch is active, the only thing that works for me on PGA is the Pale moon browser.  I installed an old flash player and stopped it from updating so hopefully .....  fingers crossed (Oh i also told Adobe off on their forums for doing this in the middle of a pandemic and lockdown) grrr

10 hours ago, Glencara said:

Ok its 12th Jan in UK and the kill switch is active, the only thing that works for me on PGA is the Pale moon browser.  I installed an old flash player and stopped it from updating so hopefully .....  fingers crossed (Oh i also told Adobe off on their forums for doing this in the middle of a pandemic and lockdown) grrr

2 hours ago, Mercury said:

Tried Pale Moon. Very slow. Could not get Flash to work. 

I have the ruffle flash emulator installed on both Chrome and Firefox and so far no problems with flash :th_banana3:

• Like 1

Just as a side note, ruffle currently does not support AS3 (Action Script 3) flash games, and a lot of the flash games have AS3 in them so you may see a banner alerting you to this.  Just know that ruffle is still under development and AS3 is on their radar to be fixed.  So it may not work today, but eventually it will be integrated and all will be well in the world of flash again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Legionaire said:

Just as a side note, ruffle currently does not support AS3 (Action Script 3) flash games, and a lot of the flash games have AS3 in them so you may see a banner alerting you to this.  Just know that ruffle is still under development and AS3 is on their radar to be fixed.  So it may not work today, but eventually it will be integrated and all will be well in the world of flash again

ahh so thats what the message meant :D  thank you.. have you tried the web host version yet?