Backup/Restore - How?!

Eagle_Kiwi

Our site currently has NO backup system, which is a BAD state of affairs.  lol

Can some kind soul help to put us on the path to a sensible and simple backup regime ?

I gather that JetBackup is good, but it costs, so we'd prefer to avoid it.

cPanel has Backup and Backup Wizard, which from a cursory glance both look pretty much the same. Is Wizard EASIER??

I see also that in either of them a FULL backup cannot later be restored via cPanel, so it seems that PARTIAL is the way to go.

There are 3 (or 4!) components of Partial - Home, MySQL, and Email. I guess it's possible to just backup 1 or 2 of these at different times, but for simplicity (even if it may take longer overall) I think we'd be better always to do all 3 at once.

I just tried the email one, which resulted in a 61-byte .gz file downloaded to my PC (I wasn't asked where I wanted it). I then began the same with Home Folder, but after 30minutes it's still only up to 760MB, so I suspect this isn't a practical method. Should I somehow be downloading these things from our server TO somewhere else on our server ?

Then anyway, looking ahead, once we have a method like this to run a backup I guess we should run it every 2 or 3 days so we'll always have a reasonably recent copy for Restore if need be?

Thanks for all that, Ron. Very clear, and simple, I guess.  :)

So, I did that, the save took under a minute, and I end up with a 109MB .SQL file on my computer. Does that sound about right?

I'm surprised at the small size - I see that our site normally takes about 25GB (and yours is 30GB) !?

Assume/guessing that maybe that huge difference is due just to file compression, then now (before I "trust" it!) how does one go about a Restore of it ?

I guess simply use that same phpMyAdmin and run "IMPORT" on this file ?

Is that all there is? If I was to do that next week would that then restore our whole site back to exactly how it was today?

(And can one do this while users are still logged in and using the site?)

(Do you guess that I'm extremely nervous around such matters? LOL)

On 12/25/2019 at 3:58 PM, Eagle_Kiwi said:

Thanks for all that, Ron. Very clear, and simple, I guess.  🙂

So, I did that, the save took under a minute, and I end up with a 109MB .SQL file on my computer. Does that sound about right?

I'm surprised at the small size - I see that our site normally takes about 25GB (and yours is 30GB) !?

Assume/guessing that maybe that huge difference is due just to file compression, then now (before I "trust" it!) how does one go about a Restore of it ?

I guess simply use that same phpMyAdmin and run "IMPORT" on this file ?

Is that all there is? If I was to do that next week would that then restore our whole site back to exactly how it was today?

(And can one do this while users are still logged in and using the site?)

(Do you guess that I'm extremely nervous around such matters? LOL)

I think all your saving is the Database, not the games. You can do a Full Backup, but will take you a very long time to complete it.. We have to find some help with this, because I am basically lost myself. I have reinstated JetApps back into the WHM and cPanels, but again I'm lost at setting this up. I need to find someone with the knowledge for Jet Backups.

Just you and myself doing this, guess no one else is interested in adding to this..

FWIW I ran the Full Backup from cPanel a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to run fine, took about 48-72 hours, but that seemed ok as it ran in the background while DA was still operating normally. It produced a large (38GB??) backup file that I could then see in our cPanel, but it says in a couple of places that this type of backup is *NOT* a "restorable" one - so I then deleted it.

58 minutes ago, Eagle_Kiwi said:

FWIW I ran the Full Backup from cPanel a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to run fine, took about 48-72 hours, but that seemed ok as it ran in the background while DA was still operating normally. It produced a large (38GB??) backup file that I could then see in our cPanel, but it says in a couple of places that this type of backup is *NOT* a "restorable" one - so I then deleted it.

Full backup is mostly for moving from one server to another server..

I did send Ed a email asking him for his help. See if he responds.. If not then I have to find someone who knows about backups and the JetApps.

I know I do mine through the myphpAdmin, only take seconds, but again it's only the database, not the entire forum itslf..

I don't claim to be an expert by any means.

I take no responsibility for any loss. This is the way I have always done my backups from the cpanel.

Naturally the backup of your database is a good thing and you seem to have that.

In my cpanel, I use the file manager to make a copy of the entire forum folder. I only make an entire backup, if there has been a major revision to the forum, or a lot of mods added. 

You still need to back up your database often, it contains your posts, members, arcade scores etc.

(Click for larger images)

Selection_012.png.3d45dfbdeef80d15984eefee5f7720f7.png

Make and name backup folder. 

Selection_022.png.b9d7b95b68646ca84dd2e072bd7df5c9.png

Make sure your location is /

Selection_014.png.610c75621fd957b3df46177aa38a3ee9.png

Check that it appears in your tree.

Selection_015.png.44c18895c80a8dbe61011341eaffd076.png

Highlight your forum directory. Clicking once on it.

Selection_016.png.2a69ef9fb96269740a60f68df1c1abf2.png

Then select "copy" from your options at the top.

Selection_017.png.6fc410e12eee3d403c843db9d8f56aa2.png

Since you have your forum folder selected, the copy box will have the folder listed

Then you direct it to the folder you made for your backup.    this example was /test/

Selection_021.png.6483d07acbf96eba9c12f4f4897763ab.png

Now, it can take a while. Especially if you have a large forum and arcade. I've never timed mine, but it was something like an hour.

It won't look like it is doing anything, but you can check in a few minutes by clicking your backup folder, and it will be populating.

Note: Naturally this is intensive. If your on shared hosting, it may cause the "your site has been limited for 24hours" notice under the "resources" listing of your cpanel.

But the 24 hour limit has never had a noticable effect on my site.

To restore, you just do the reverse of these steps. copying all the files from the backup folder to your forum folder. 

Your backup folder can be downloaded if you wish for safe keeping. Or just leave it and restore from it.

Whenever I feel the need to make a backup, I just delete everything in the backup folder, and copy over once again the main forum.

I hope this helps someone, I have used it on my shared hosting through the cpanel. It has saved me a couple of times. 

Edited by Windwalker
Added information

5 hours ago, JoelR said:

Are you self-hosted? You should always contact your server admin to see if they can create regular, recurring backups.  This will save you in the future.  

Hi Joel. Thanx 4 your reply here.

We share a VPS with another arcade site. Ok, I will contact our server and check what they may offer.

Cheers.

7 hours ago, Windwalker said:

I don't claim to be an expert by any means.

I take no responsibility for any loss. This is the way I have always done my backups from the cpanel.

Hiya Ww.

Boy, you ARE an expert compared to us, no matter what you say! Thank you so much for all that. It will be SO helpful.  :)

But, when I do "+folder" there is no "/" in "New Folder will be Created in:" - it shows only the house symbol. So - I add a "/" in there then do the create ("forum_backup"), which seems to work.

But THEN, after clicking on our forum directory, I find "copy" is greyed out !??

I suspect I seem to be at a wrong level here, but I can't seem to back up a level. Can you help?

Capture.JPG.912108cc06f616e7143e7db24abfe30b.JPG

From your screen shot, which is very helpful, I think you are clicking in the left column to select your forum

You should click once on the /home/edsarcaad  then select the item/s you want from the "right side pane" .

If your forum and arcade is all in one directory in the right pane, select it. Then the copy options will be available. 

Depending on how yours is set up, your actual forum folder may be under public_html.

Joel has a great idea, check with the hosting, and see if they keep a backup they could restore in an emergency. 

Edited by Windwalker

Thanks Ww. Do you realise that all your words are carefully read here about 5 or 6 times? LOL

Yes, I think our forum folder is indeed an extra level down, in public_html.

So - what should I copy from where to where ?

Here's a wider screenshot:

Capture.thumb.JPG.b233915e91352d0d5abc5ae0a06c7303.JPG

I've already made a new folder " /home/edsarcaad/backup_forum ", so I guess I copy this folder: /home/edsarcaad/public_html/forums - into it .

Does that seem right ?

A further question:-

To restore, you just do the reverse of these steps. copying all the files from the backup folder to your forum folder. 

Would I need to go down to individual files level here? I'd have thought that to restore I'd simply copy the whole backup_forum folder across (which would naturally include all its contents too?.)

Oh, and another somewhat unrelated question, if I may - is there any easy way from here within cPanel to find the total SIZE of a folder including all its sub-folders? I can't seem to find any such thing, and it would be handy, I'm sure.

I've already made a new folder " /home/edsarcaad/backup_forum ", so I guess I copy this folder: /home/edsarcaad/public_html/forums - into it .

Does that seem right ?

First and foremost, be VERY careful working in the file manager, you can really mess up your site. As Joel R suggests, check first with your provider and see if they provide periodic backups. Then you can slowly learn the file manager. 

As to your question, 

Copy your "forums" directory to your backup directory. 

When restoring, You go into your backup directory you made, and select just the files and folders in that folder, and copy them to your forum directory where your forum is. Restoring should only be done as a LAST resort, many problems can be remedied through your support provider, or IPS support. They are great.

Again, seek a simple solution first, from your provider. If nothing available, then use your cpanel. 

Being on a VPS you may have someone that has root access, and can do your backups simply, with one command, and restore the same way. It's a learning curve truly running a VPS if you've never done it before. I had one about 2 years ago. After some medical problems, I just couldn't keep on top of it. Judging from your comments, it sounds like you must be on a managed VPS, meaning there should be someone there that can assist you in a backup. I'll help as I can, but I don't want to be the cause of a site going down, following my directions. 🙂

You seem to be a quick learner. So here are some basics. There are two components to your forum/arcade. The forum (which contains the arcade that you installed) and the Database.

Any problems you encounter, you have to figure out how to solve them, to ensure the components work together. 

Forum directory: Contains all the files for your forum functionality. All your arcade games. 

Database: This contains your posts, members information, arcade scores everything that needs information in your forum etc. That is why a database backup, is smaller than a forum backup. 

You have to have these two components to recover from a failure. 

1. Have a backup of all the files in your forum directory. Stored safely in another folder, outside of your forum directory. 

2. A recent database backup.

Again, I like to help, but assume no liability  for loss, damages, asteriod impacts, etc, from the use of instructions herein provided by me. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2019 at 9:01 PM, Eagle_Kiwi said:

I gather that JetBackup is good, but it costs, so we'd prefer to avoid it.

I guess that depends on where you're hosting.

I'm currently using Hostingsupremo.com and they include JetBackup with their web hosting plans.

GoDaddy acquired Sucuri and they have really cheap backup plans.

https://www.godaddy.com/web-security/website-backup

That being said, it's probably a good idea to  download a manual backup to your PC from your cPanel as well.